don't postpone joy

Monday, November 21, 2005

attachment

Today, one of my kids said to me "Miss! It looks like you've been gaining some weight..." and then she asked "is that mean to say?" The child and I love each other dearly. "No, " I said..."just sometimes the truth hurts, is all..." then I pretended like I weigh 400 pounds and waddled down the hall with her. Looks like Aunty Daisy is gonna have a lean Thanksgiving in California...cooing and changing diapers for the most spoiled doodle nephew on the planet AND running laps!
Before that exchange happened, I was gonna show you this necklace:

My grandmother gave it to me years ago. There's a bracelet to match. Grandmother A (Dad's mom) received it as a gift, from Grandmother B (Mom's mom) I have always loved this, but have never worn it. I love how it looks and feels around my neck today. I realized that I am attached to it, and other momentos that have been handed down from my grandparents. I have one grandmother still alive. I have a bond, even in death, with the ones gone elsewhere. I think I'd have that pit in my stomach if I lost this necklace, today. And yet, I know Grandmother is right here with me. This necklace isn't her, anymore than that sweet girl's words make me fat.

I never knew how attached to my garage door I was until it broke. This morning I realized that's just not something I'm willing to let go of. But Im gonna try anyway~

7 Comments:

At 22 November, 2005 07:48, Blogger Jim Cooper said...

The necklace is very cool. I have a silver pocket watch from my grandfather that I'm attached to. Like you, I'm attached to more things from my grandparents than my parents.

Have a great T-Day - Travel Safe!!

Jim C

 
At 22 November, 2005 10:45, Blogger tom said...

Kids are silly. You look great.

I like that necklace.

 
At 22 November, 2005 11:15, Blogger daisyduke said...

You boys are the best...

 
At 22 November, 2005 12:45, Blogger Kurt said...

Enjoy the trip.
Bummer about the garage door. Seems like those sorts of events always come at Xmas, when I'd really like the money for gifts!

 
At 23 November, 2005 21:38, Blogger bricotrout said...

thanks for being patient. just letting those who commented on my last post that the nut is back. thanks for caring.

 
At 24 November, 2005 23:30, Blogger Wenchy said...

that is such a beautiful piece of jewellery!

 
At 25 November, 2005 01:12, Blogger Unknown said...

damn your in cali and not coming to see me? i am depressed now :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home